Preparing and Giving Talks
- What's the point?
- How is a talk different from a paper?
- Some random tips:
- Maintain eye-contact. Don't block the screen.
- Avoid busy slides.
- Make sure trees don't obscure forest.
- Don't give too much data.
- Don't just read slides.
- Manage time well.
- Be enthusiastic. Be honest. Don't panic.
- Concentrate on one or two take-away points.
- Be sensitive to the context your talk is given in, e.g, the
audience, the session, the previous speaker(s).
- What happens at conferences?
- What's a poster session?
C. J. Ribbens,