CS 5014 Mini-Research Project
If you would like to do a small research project as part your 5014 experience,
here are some guidelines.
- The point of this project is to gain experience in identifying
and sharpening research questions, in working out a research plan
(e.g., planning experiments), in carrying out an investigation,
and in writing up the results. You may also want to do a poster or
oral presentation based on your results.
- Your project should not be too open-ended. That is, it should be
clear from the start what you have to do and that it is realistic
to finish it by the end of the semester. (This is not the way
real research works, of course!)
- A typical project that would fit this constraint would be to measure
the performance of some system or set of systems. This is
intentionally a very general description: ``performance''
can be defined in lots of ways and ``system'' can mean just
- Many other types of projects are possible. If you are already doing
something, or would like to do something, and you think it might
be able to spin it as a research project, pitch it to me.
Just write a one page summary
of what you have in mind and give it to me as soon as possible.
- For an example project that illustrates what I have in mind, see
this description of an
evaluation of the ATLAS BLAS.
You are more than welcome to do this project.