In addition to MPEG and MJPEG and QuickTime there are a variety of other approaches to video compression.
- Software decompression:
- On 486: 30 fps with 160x120, 15 fps with 320x240
- On Pentium/PowerPC approaches 30 fps with 320x240
- Video for Windows: 1992 (also Apple's Windows QuickTime)
- Cinepak (from SuperMac, the most popular codec)
- MoviePak (from RasterOps)
- VQ schemes with i750 compression Indeo (from Intel): Montage, Touchvision, New Video, Duck/Horizon
- Fractal (scalable): Iterated Systems: Total Multimedia Inc.
- Wavelet: Aware, Inc.: Media Vision
Copyright 1996 Edward A. Fox