CS4624 KMS Use - basics
What is KMS
- Product of Knowledge Systems Inc.
- For use at Virginia Tech in connection with our digital library research
- Distributed Hypertext system
- Computer Supported Cooperative Work system
- Shared calendar / meeting maker
- Collaborative authoring tool
- Group discussion/project support tool
- Environment for course
- Personal Information Manager
- Reports, Papers
- To Do Lists
- Word Processor
- Drawing Tool
How to Invoke KMS on video.cs.vt.edu for an X terminal
- Set up the display environment to send X output to your terminal/computer
- Invoke "kms&"
- Be patient as it loads founts
- Use the 3 button mouse with functions shown in the box below the cursor
- Adapt preferences (e.g., printer name)
- Customize your home frame to point to your various types of information
- Click on any item that has small circle (x on DECstation) to the left of it, to follow a link
- Click on the background to go "back"
- Use "goto" to get to outside information like "ei" by goto "ei1"
- Look at useful shared information in framesets like calendar, ei, etc.
- Exit when done
How to Find more Information about KMS
- Study the Walking Tour inside KMS
- See online documentation accessible through KMS
- Examine PostScript files in ~kmssys/kmsdoc (using ghostview)
What to do with KMS on video.cs.vt.edu in CS4984
- Do group collaboration activities
- Turn in homework results and tell instructor about them
- Turn in quiz results and tell instructor about them
- Refer to the Hypertext Compendium
- Keep notes or other class-related information
Copyright 1996 Edward A. Fox