Homework 6: Zoomable Visualization Design
The goal of this homework is to creatively design a visualization of an information space
using zooming and overview concepts.
Software: Download and install the
1.0 software. Read the User Guide to learn the buttons and key
commands. For further info, Kidpad is based on the Jazz
toolkit for zoomable Java applications. Alternatively, you can use the
KidPad software in the McBryde 104c HCI lab (during day-time hours only; contact
Jacob for assistance).
Important notes about KidPad:
- KidPad is research software and, hence, not necessarily bug free. Save
your work often, and copy intermediate kidpad files to a backup directory in
case files get corrupted.
- Avoid importing large images into your information space, as there have
been reports that using large images increases likelihood of crashes,
corrupted files, and lost work.
- If the text entry tool does not work, try: use the java version (1.3)
that comes packaged in KidPad, or set your screen resolution to match the
KidPad resolution (1024x768 or 800x600).
Design: Use Kidpad to design an interactive zoomable visualization of an information
topic of your choice. Choose a topic that is rich enough to make
visualization interesting. Some topic ideas are:
Be creative. Include information of different
data types, such as quantitative, tree-structured, spatial, and text data.
Your design should make good use of information visualization principles
and the zooming concept, including:
your interactive resumé or life history
a favorite hobby
NCAA march madness
- "Overview first" to see major trends at the top level.
- Zoom in to drill down into more detailed information.
- Visualize information by mapping data to graphics.
Report: Write a
1-page report that includes:
- Name and PID.
- Describe the essence of your design. Is it successful?
- What data types did you include in your visualization?
- How does your design provide an overview of the information space?
- List some specific mappings you used to map data to graphics.
- How is your design similar to and different from a hypertext design with
pages and hyperlinks?
Submit: Send an email to your GTA
(MW is Jacob; TTh is Kibum) with subject
line "HCI homework6" that contains:
Name. and PID
attach the ".kidpad" file and ".jpg" file of your design. These files
can be found in the "KidPad1.0/saved-files" folder. Double check
that you are sending the correct files by testing them.
Hardcopy of report due in class, April 14/15. Above email due by class