Speaking and Elocution
The objectives of this class are to provide guidelines for effective speaking in public presentations, supported by a well written script (or notes) and appropriate graphics. This class is the last in a series of three dealing with presentations (writing, graphics, speaking) and can be followed by a decision making exercise where students choose the criteria by which they will judge each other in their individual presentations.
- Individual Presentations: The Content
- Peyton Jones, S. L., John Hughes, John Lanchbury. Nov. 1993. "How to Give a Good Research Talk", ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Vol. 28, No. 11, pp. 9-12.
- Hoff, Ron. I Can See You Naked, Andrews and McNeel, Kansas City, 1992, 326 pp.
- Jay, Antony. The New Oratory, American Management Association, 133 pp.
- General guidelines from Toastmasters (a non-profit organization for
helping people improve their public speaking).
- Public Speaking Tips from CC!
- The Quick and Easy Way to Effective Speaking, Dale Carnegie.
Last Updated 99/12/06
© J.A.N. Lee, 1995, 1998, 1999.