Fall 1998 Final Examination
Part I: Multiple Choice
Record your answers on the op-scan form provided.
Each question in this part is worth two (2) points.
1. A book guarantee only refers to its ______ not its _______:
2. Konrad Zuse was a German Civil Engineer who developed what is a definite candidate for one of the worlds first computersthe Z1 machine. Built in 1935-1937 it used _____ as its basic component of construction:
3. John Mauchly and J. Presper Eckert, who designed and built the ENIAC, were staff at:
4. The three stages of computer impact are:
5. The earliest graphic user interface (GUI) was built by the same person who invented the mouseIvan Sutherland:
6. Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, the developers of the Apple computer, initially built up their capital by manufacturing and selling:
7. Community values are:
8. If one acts such that one must act to achieve the greatest good for the greatest number so that individual rights are sacrificed for the sake of the majority, then one is acting in accordance with:
9. The "ACM Code" is a:
10. The word "its" is used correctly in the following sentence:
Each group had to implement at least two of its own classes.
11. You and one of your roommates, Joe Jones, meet your instructor, Sandra Birch, in Kroger. You want to introduce her to your roommate. The correct introduction is:
12. There are a number of steps a computer science major can take to prepare for the job search or graduate school applications. They include:
13. One of the wisest and kindest actions you can take after someone has done you a favor, written you a reference, or given you an interview is:
14. Responsibilities and Liabilities are akin to:
15. The right to privacy is peculiarly a US invention.
16. Social Security Number usage is limited by:
17. According to the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act, a reasonable accommodation is any change or adjustment to a job or work environment that permits a qualified applicant or employee with a disability:
18. Mental and learning disabilities are not covered by the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act.
19. The US Copyright Law grants exclusive protection to a work of authorship for:
20. Software can be patented.
Part II: Essay Questions. Use the space provided for your answers. Put your name on the top of the sheet.
21. (20 points) Hackers have a code of ethics. Is this statement an oxymoron (def: oxymoron n : conjoining contradictory terms as in `deafening silence')? Justify your answer.
YES NO (Circle one)
22. (15 points) Propose three basic rules of Netiquette for the preparation of Web pages:
23. (25 points) (a) Define Cyberhate:
(b) In discussing Cyberhate in class we distinguished between attitude and action as a means of delimiting the outer boundaries of behavior. Now consider the narrower extremes of "acceptable" and "tolerated" behavior. Give two examples each of what you would consider acceptable and tolerated web page publications. Justify your answers.:
Last updated 99/01/15
© J.A.N. Lee, 1998, 1999.