COMPUTER SOCIETY OF INDIA (C.S.I.)

CODE OF ETHICS

Approved by Executive Committee in its Meeting on 8th May, 1993

CODE OF ETHICS FOR IT PROFESSIONALS

The need for a Code of Ethics for the CSI has been felt for a long time. This has been formulated.
  1. A Professional member of the Computer Society of India (CSI) shall:

CODES OF PRACTICE

2. As regard his ORGANISATION an IT professional should:
  3. As regards the EMPLOYEES, an IT professional should:
  4. As regards the CLIENTS, an IT professional should:
  5. As regards the COMMUNITY, an IT professional should:

CODE OF ETHICS UNDERTAKING

I ............................. affirm that as a professional member, I shall abide by the Code of Ethics of the Computer Society of India (CSI). I further undertake that I shall uphold the fair name of the Computer Society of India by maintaining high standards of integrity and professionalism. I am aware that any breach of the Code of Ethics may lead to disciplinary action against me under the Byelaws and rules of the CSI. I hereby confirm that I shall be bound by any decision taken by the CSI in such matters.

Place: .................................. _____________________________
(Name)
Date: ...................................

CODE OF ETHICS PROCEDURE FOR ACTION AGAINST A MEMBER FOR ANY BREACH OF THE CODE OF ETHICS

1. This procedure aims at setting out a strategy for dealing with the breaches of the Code of Ethics by the members of the CSI. The term members includes Institutional members individually as well as collectively.

Complaints

2. All complaints shall be made in writing within 60 days of the violation of the Code of Ethics being noticed. These may be addressed to any Office Bearer of a Chapter or a member of the ExecCom. The complaint should include the following information:
    a) Date of breach/violation: person/persons involved.
    b) Place of event and circumstances.
    c) Witnesses.
  3. All complaints will be sent to the President CSI, by the recipient, with his/her comments.

Sequence of Action

4. The President will send the complaint to the Honours Committee of the CSI consisting of one Past President as Convenor and two Past Presidents/Office Bearers as members.
  5. The Honours Committee will be appointed by the ExecCom every year in its first meeting in July.
  6. The Honours Committee would meet and take the following actions:
    a) If the case is clear-cut, get written explanation/comments from various parties and set a date for hearing,
    b) Carry out investigation, by visit to the location, if necessary,
    c) Fix a date for a formal hearing. The hearing would go into evidences offered and allow witnesses to be brought and examined.
  7. The findings of the Honours Committee would depend on the merits of each case and their recommendation to the ExecCom may be
    a) Honourable acquittal.
    b) Removal from membership.
  8. The recommendations of the Honours Committee whenever any removal of a member from the membership of the CSI is involved, will be publicised through the CSI Publications after the approval of the ExecCom.

Return to the World Codes Index Page