1. Extra-credit projects are NOT mandatory. While successful completion of one may improve your grade, especially if borderline, a failed attempt, or no attempt at all, will not directly affect your grade in any way. I am not going to apply scaling to the grades in this class, so if you are performing on the "X" grade level based on everything else, you will get your "X" without any extra projects. So, since there is no penalty, looks like it is a win-win situation to try one. Well, it may be. Or maybe not -- it may have an indirect negative effect. ------Read below before you start spending/wasting you valuable time. You may need it for the basic things we are covering in class. ----- 2. Extra-credit projects GO BEYOND the syllabus. They are NOT easy (small extra credit assignments may be easy). You may need to learn additional things. Really, I intend them for those of you who get bored with what we do in class because you already know most of it, or because the level I teach at (aimed at the middle) is to easy for you. You like the subject and you want to spend extra time on something interesting. As a bonus, you MAY improve your grade (or not), say from B+ to A. 3. I will use more stringent criteria in grading the projects compared to those I use for other assignments. I will not have time to work with you on it -- this will be unfair to other students who need my office hours for the basic things (or course, I will answer quick related questions). 4. Each project should be well-documented. The reader should see clearly what you have done and why. (read scientific papers to see what I am talking about). 5. I can not promise you a grade improvement, but I do promise you will have fun doing a project if you give it a try.