Re: Survey on Plagiarism in Programming Courses

Posted by Daniel Longest on April 24, 2001 at 15:15:59:

In Reply to: Survey on Plagiarism in Programming Courses posted by Patrick Van Metre on April 24, 2001 at 10:19:39:

It sounds good to me. I'm curious what kinds of questions these will be, is it questions like "Have you cheated on X?" or is it more like "Do you consider Z to be cheating?"

Daniel

: Hi, everyone -- I'm a graduate student in Computer Science, and my Ph.D. research is on plagiarism/cheating in programming courses. I'd like to give your class a survey, if you don't mind, on your individual history (if any) of cheating. It would be completely anonymous -- no identifying information at all would go onto the survey form. The survey is 23 questions, multiple choice, is optically scanned, and would be administered on the last day of this class. No teacher or GTA will ever see these forms, and participation will have absolutely no effect on any grade or honor court case. The survey asks questions that help me understand how, why, and how often students may cheat on their programming assignments, as well as students' backgrounds.

: If you have any questions or concerns about participating in such a survey, please respond to this message, or email me (pvanmetre@vt.edu) or Mr. Barnette (barnette@vt.edu) if you don't want to post your concerns publicly. If you'd be interested in participating, please let us know this as well. Individual participation in the survey would be voluntary, so you wouldn't have to fill one out even if everyone else does.

: Thanks for your time and your opinions!

: - Patrick Van Metre