new logs the morning its due

Posted by Eric on April 22, 2001 at 14:17:05:

I know its getting close to exam time and things are getting hectic, but one of the things that has bothered me greatly about some of my programming courses here is that they seem to discourage working ahead. I actually started this program ahead of time, and it seems the professors didn't even decide what they want us to submit until this morning!
Looking at the new test logs there are a number of things changed from before. For instance I took out my "grendel did not move" message because the sample logs left such a message out. Then this morning its been added in. So now I get to look through all dozen test data yet again to see what miniscule changes have been made.
Not to mention most of the test logs we've received for this program have been riddled with problems. How are we supposed to figure out if our programs do the little nuances right when the test data isn't even correct? I hope you'll give us some freedom in minor print messages and such for this project, as long as our programs are still doing the right thing.
I don't mean to be flaming; I just think all of us would greatly appreciate it if we could have completed specs and test data more than 12 hours in advance of the due date. We should have some slack time to do our programs early if we have plans for the weekend. Yeah, I know we're CS majors, but some of us probably still have lives.