Re: I've been wondering the same thing...

Posted by William D McQuain on April 19, 2001 at 17:39:27:

In Reply to: I've been wondering the same thing... posted by Chris Thrasher on April 19, 2001 at 03:04:50:

: I think the question here is whether each creature individually should move, assess its surroundings, and eat if it can, or whether all creatures should be made to move at once and then collectively eat what's around them.

: The first option presents some interesting issues with the implementation of the dynamic list. Depending on how its written everyone will have different logs.

Only if they don't follow spec. See my earlier post in this thread. By spec, the order of updating is partly determined by the order of creation. Therefore, the creatures should be stored in the order of creation.

The only way the problem you're worried about occurs is if that aspect of the spec is ignored. Anyone doing that will achieve massively non-complient results, and enjoy massive deductions.

In one implementation a grendel might eat a grazer, while in another the grazer might move away first.

: My take on this is that I've answered my own question. There are so many problems with doing a creature-by-creature check that we almost have to implement a single "mealtime."

:
: : Within one loop, should the tick increment apply to one creature then a move, then it looks to see if there is anything to eat. Then move to the next creature in the list, incriment the SAME tick# for it, then have it look to see if there is anything to eat. and so on...

: : because if this is true, then it seems to me that the ordering of the creatures in the list would matter. Also this tick would not simulate true time, which occurs for all creatures at the same time, not creature by creature.

: : In other words, do we do the clock for each creature, then move each creature, then have them interact? Or is it more like do the clock tick for a single creature, move the creature, interact, then repeat for all creatures?

: : does any of this make sense to anyone else? or is it just me?
: : -Lane