Re: Another Error or my Misinterpritation?

Posted by Dave Longley on April 17, 2001 at 12:41:24:

In Reply to: Re: Another Error or my Misinterpritation? posted by Robert Hoffman on April 16, 2001 at 22:01:21:

Animals "move" in patterns. One of their "movement" possibilities is to fail to move. When an animal fails to move it enters the same square it was in previously; an animal always "moves" into a square and then proceeds to execute its other behaviours. That seems reasonable, but if you would like a little more code, then McQ can choose to accept your interpretation, if that wasn't his intention from the start.

: : In case my point wasn't implied--a grendel checks its movement pattern and executes a move if one is expected, it then checks for food. Whether or not it moves doesn't determine its eating; it always checks the area for food.

: See, I was confused b/c I was going by the line in the specs that says:

: "As a general rule, a predatory creature will only decide to consume another creature when the predatory creature first enters the square." -- First line of the first paragraph on page 2 (right after the grendel discription)

: Thus, since the grendel doesn't move "into the square" as the browser, it should not attempt to consume the browser. Therefore, the browser should get away scott free.

: Is this a correct reading of the specs or am I reading into this too much?