Re: Another Error or my Misinterpritation?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ CS2704 Web Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Longley on April 16, 2001 at 21:31:25:

In Reply to: Re: Another Error or my Misinterpritation? posted by Dave Longley on April 16, 2001 at 21:28:39:

In case my point wasn't implied--a grendel checks its movement pattern and executes a move if one is expected, it then checks for food. Whether or not it moves doesn't determine its eating; it always checks the area for food.

: It's my guess that this situation wasn't anticipated when the "too dumb to eat, if you will" was written in the specs. I think a better description of why the grendel doesn't eat another animal that enters its square is because it isn't the grendel's turn to move. Either:

: 1. the grendel hasn't moved yet...and will move on its turn to a new location and THEN proceed to look for food,

: 2. or the grendel's turn has already expired.

: Keeping in mind that the ecosystem functions on ticks and each animal has its own turn per tick is a better way to describe why a grendel would fail to consume an animal that enters its square.

: : The following was cut and pasted strait fromt the SampleKillDataLog.txt as posted for program checking...

: : ******************************************************
: : Command 30: status Tom
: : Grendel Tom 42 (6, 7)
: : ----------------------------------------------
: : Command 31: status Lunch
: : Life form not found: Lunch
: : Command 32: status Munch
: : Browser Munch 54 (6, 7)
: : Command 33: create browser Thumper 20 6 7
: : Added a Browser.
: : Command 34: tick 3
: : --------------- tick number: 8
: : Tom moved east
: : Munch moved south
: : Thumper moved east
: : --------------- tick number: 9
: : Tom gonna munch Thumper
: : Munch moved east
: : *******************************************************

: : The question becomes, Tom -grendel- is located at (6,7) when Thumper -browser- is created. On the first simulation tick, Tom moves first -east-, then Thumper moves -east also-. No problem yet.

: : Next turn, Tom does not move, but eats thumper. Problem. Thumper is as called "dumb food". He moved in after Tom, and Tom did not move into him.

: : I was under the impression that dumb food was not to be eaten. Is this an exception that should be accounted for? More curious then anything right now.

: : Thanks to whomever can answere.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ CS2704 Web Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]