Re: Questions on latest homework answers

Posted by John Kugelman on April 06, 2001 at 00:14:50:

In Reply to: Re: Questions on latest homework answers posted by Daniel Longest on April 06, 2001 at 00:05:33:

: I'm confused as to how "considering all access protections" can be seen as ambiguous, to me it clarifies that they want to know the number of data members in the derived object. The fact is the derived object has two but it is unable to access them directly should not make you think that they want only the ones that can be directly accessed.

To me, "considering all access protections" meant to consider only the data members that fell under some access protection. The inherited private member had no protection type; it was merely inaccessible. I mean, yeah, you could consider "super-private" as its access protection, but I've never heard that concept outside of this class.

I agree with some of the posters here that the addition of the parenthetical was confusing; when I did the homework was unsure of whether or not to count the hidden data member. But thankfully somebody did ask the question here and Prof. McQuain answered it, so I've got no personal reason to complain. I suppose one could fault the people who got the question wrong for not reading the message board, of course, except that it shouldn't matter if you do or not...

But anyways, big deal, it was one question on a homework assignment. The projects and tests are much weightier, and anyone who is able to make a clear case about this question should be doing well enough in the class anyways.