Re: "above" or "below" in inheritance

Posted by Daniel Longest on April 03, 2001 at 15:50:19:

In Reply to: "above" or "below" in inheritance posted by Eric Newman on April 03, 2001 at 13:48:27:

Standard notation has the most general class at the top of the hierachy (like a grandparent). Then as you move down, things become more specialized (each child points to the base). The very bottom of the hierachy is the most specific. At first this seems awkward but to me, if I think about it like that, it's ok. I'm not sure what else can be said, except that the word "base" here does not imply being at the bottom of the hierachy, it just means its the foundation of the hierachy. I hope that helps somewhat.

Daniel
: I'm fairly confused about the terminology referring to inherited and base classes as "above" and "below".
: I thought, considering the word "base", that the base class is at the bottom, and derived class would be considered "above" the base class.
: The diagrams in the notes and in Stroustup's book show the base class at the top, however. Which would indicate the base class as being "above" the derived classes. That seems a bit backwards to me, again considering the definition of the word "base".
: Thank you for any help..