Re: Loading new Databases

Posted by Bucky on March 28, 2001 at 22:27:42:

In Reply to: Loading new Databases posted by Blake on March 28, 2001 at 21:58:50:

: When the script hands down a LoadBookDB or LoadAuthorDB command it raises a little problem is the array size. Basically, the array is being completely emptied and refilled. Does this mean that we should reset the size of the array to 1.25 times the number of new records being loaded? The logical answer would be yes but that means including some wierd interface that allows the Manager to destroy one of the arrays and recreate it. Is there an elegant solution for this?

First, I don't see those commands (LoadBookDB or LoadAuthorDB) listed in the spec for script commands.... but if you wanted to implement them (I don't know why you would .... )

If you have encapsulated your objects properly, it seems to me you could just instruct your database manager to delete the existing database (either book or author). Then, create a new database object and initialize it with the new data. When you do this, new arrays would be automatically allocated