Re: Question on Linux usage for next semester

Posted by William D McQuain on December 13, 2001 at 13:22:07:

In Reply to: Question on Linux usage for next semester posted by Benjamin Oravetz on December 13, 2001 at 11:41:31:

: I was wondering if we would be able to submit our assignments from our computers if we connected remotely to program, used WS_FTP to get the files onto our machine, and then submitted it?

I don't really know the answer to this one, yet. We will have an installation of the Curator on a Linux box, with the same environment as the lab machines.

My primary concern is the difference between *nix and DOS line termination in text files. If you submit DOS-style files, I wouldn't be surprised if g++ would have trouble with them, and I know we would have some view issues.

Of course, transferring the files correctly would fix that issue.

Then, you'll probably be submitting gzipped tar files, and creating compatibles ones probably requires that be done on a *nix box.

: Also, will there be open lab hours for the Unix machines in McBryde and if so, will there be open lab hours on weekends?

No idea. There will be remote access.

: I'm only asking this because I refuse to put another operating system on my machine just so I can program in it.