Re: For Barnette or McQuain

Posted by William D McQuain on December 11, 2001 at 07:50:39:

In Reply to: For Barnette or McQuain posted by Train on December 10, 2001 at 22:24:44:

: Is it true the cs 2604 will be unix based, I have heard alot of rummors, and I was wondering if I could find out once and for all, Please, I want to know stright from either of the teachers, no one else need respond

The CS Department adopted the following decisions nearly 2 years ago:

CS 2604 will require development under some flavor of Unix effective in Spring 2002 (following the introduction of the new Unix course, CS 2204 in Fall 2001).

CS 3204 will adopt the same development requirement, effective in Fall 2002.

The "official flavor" of Unix would be that which is installed in the CS Department Unix lab. At this point, that decision has not been made. The candidates appear to be Debian Linux, Mandrake Linux and Red Hat Linux (if there's not a redundancy there).

There's going to be a meeting of interested faculty and tech staff people next week to discuss the merits and liabilities of each.

I will add a note to my personal (not course) website once we've settled on a particular flavor.

IMO, for CS 2604 which version of Linux is used is not nearly as important as which version of the gcc compiler is available. gcc 2.9.5.x is woeful. gcc 3.0.x is presumably better but I haven't used it yet.

FWIW, my advice is that you make sure you're prepared to run the latest version of gcc when you get to CS 2604.