Announcements PAGE (1 of 1)
Updated:

Announcements

Fall 2003 Offering
Instructor: TBA

19 July 2003: Organizational Meeting

The only REQUIRED meeting for CS 1204 is on Monday Aug. 25 at 5:30PM in Torgersen Hall Room 2150. Students NOT attending this organizational meeting will be automatically dropped!

These Web pages are currently under construction and modification for the Fall 2003 offering. Questions about the course will be answered at the CS 1204 organizational meeting.

Fall 2002 Offering: S. Perugini, instructor

17 December 2002: Final Grades Posted

Final grades are now available on WebCT.

13 December 2002: Course Evaluation

Although a previous announcement stated that the online course evaluation had to have been completed before finals begin, it is still available here. Please submit the course evaluation if you have not already done so. We appreciate your feedback.

13 December 2002: No Final Exam

There is no final exam for CS1204.

I will post final grades in WebCT by next week and send a message to the course listserv indicated that I have done so.

9 December 2002: Please Submit the Course Evaluation

The online course evaluation is now available. Student course evaluations are taken seriously and your feedback is important to us.

Notes:

1. To access the course evaluation form, click here.
  2. Answer all questions by clicking on the response which best represents your opinion. If text is required, type it in the text box provided.
  3. At the end of the form, click on the `SEND QUESTIONS' button to submit the form.
  4. All surveys should be submitted before finals begin.
  5. The surveys are anonymous. No identification is required.
We appreciate your help.

4 December 2002: Next (Final) Three Quizzes are Now Available

The next (final) three quizzes are now available on WebCT.

The deadline for the Digital Libraries, Command line, and XML/Perl quizzes is 11:55pm, Wednesday 11 Dec. 2002.

22 November 2002: webpage assignment

Now that the webpage assignment deadline has passed, you may want to password protect your filebox.

You will receive your webpage grade in a little over a week via email.

21 November 2002: important clarification

I presume all of you know by now (but apparently some of you do not) that my office is *508 McBryde Hall*. This is the *only* place I see students.

You may come to my office hours which are available on our webpage. If these hours are not good for you, please contact me via email to setup an appointment to meet me in my office. If you need to get in touch with me outside of office hours, please send me email.

Outside of office hours in my office and email communication, I am unavailable for consultation unless an appointment has been made in advance.

18 November 2002: Next Quiz is Now Available

The next quiz, Win2000, is now available on WebCT.

The deadline for the Win2000 quiz is 11:55pm, Sunday 24 Nov. 2002.

18 November 2002: webpage assignment deadline extension

Due to confusion regarding the well-formedness of HTML, I am extending the webpage assignment to 11:55pm Thursday, 21 November 2002.

Again, well-formedness applies to only your HTML tags (excluding comments). For our purposes, well-formedness means no unmatched < >, no unmatched tags, and proper nesting in your HTML code.

An example of an unmatched < is the following.

<b

An example of an unmatched tag is the following.
<b>Hello World

An example of improper nesting is the following.
<b><i>Hello World</b></i>

This definition of well-formedness does not apply to your JavaScript code.

You will need to perform these 3 checks manually as the online checker will not ignore HTML comments and JavaScript code. You can however use the online checker for only the HTML portion of your webpage code.

Please use this extra time wisely as there will be no excuses for not having the assignment completed on time.

17 November 2002: well-formed HTML

I have received many mails regarding well-formed HTML. This announcement serves to address these mails.

As many of you have figured out, the HTML well-formedness checker will flag your HTML as ill-formed if it contains JavaScript conditional expressions involving '<' or '>'. It will do the same with HTML which contains certain types of comments.

You will not lose points for such expressions: JavaScript conditionals or HTML comments.

Please make sure your HTML tags are properly nested and closed however.

13 November 2002: webpage assignment note

Please make sure your filebox webpage is not password protected. If it is, we will be unable to retrieve your page and as a result you will receive a zero.

The default permissions of a filebox are `admin only,' which means password protected. This can be changed by logging into http://filebox.vt.edu and clicking on the `edit' button for access restrictions.

I anticipate that most of you will need to do this to make your page available to everyone on the internet without a password.

6 November 2002: HomePage assignment released

The WWW homepage assignment is now available here. This is the official specification for the assignment. The assignment is due at 11:55pm on Sunday, 17 November 2002.

I have received a number of mails about this assignment over the past two months to which I have not responded. This announcement and the assignment specification serve as an answer to all such inquiries.

4 November 2002: CS1044 Sandbox Students

The MS Visual C++.NET/Acrobat Quiz is now available for CS1044 students who used Pete DePasquale's Sandbox programming environment (either with or without subset support).

The deadline for the MS Visual C++.NET/Acrobat quiz is 11:55pm, Sunday 10 Nov. 2002.
The MS Visual C++.NET Debugging quiz will be available on Monday 11 Nov. 2002.
The deadline for the MS Visual C++.NET Debugging quiz is 11:55pm, Sunday 17 Nov. 2002.

This announcement only applies to 92 students.

18 October 2002: Midterm Grades

Due to an error beyond our control, all first-semester students received an Unsatisfactory as a mid-term grade.

In order to determine your midterm grade, please take an average of all your quizzes scores and map it to a letter grade using our point distribution table.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

18 October 2002: SSslidesDB Supplemental Practice Quiz

Recently, I have received a number of inquires regarding the spreadsheet, slides, and DB supplemental tutorial notes and practice quiz. The post serves to answer such inquires. The material is supplemental and thus the associated quiz is optional. Under no circumstances will it count toward your final grade. You may notice that the tutorial is somewhat dated; we will not be updating it this term.

15 October 2002: midterm grades

Many of you who have received mid-term grades have contacted me. Mid-term grades were an average of all your current quiz scores. If you are using the CS1 Sandbox and thus did not submit the two .NET quizzes, your scores for those two quizzes were temporarily set to zero. You will submit those quizzes in a few weeks. You can compute a mid-term grade as an average of the other quizzes you have submitted. This mail serves as a response to all your inquiries.

14 October 2002: Next Five Quizzes are Now Available

The next five quizzes are now available on WebCT.

The deadline for the USENET News/Telnet and HTML quizzes is 11:55pm, Sunday 20 Oct. 2002.
The deadline for the Graphics & GIFs quiz is 11:55pm, Sunday 27 Oct. 2002.
The deadline for the Image Maps & Frames quiz is 11:55pm, Sunday 3 Nov. 2002.
The deadline for the Java & JavaScript quiz is 11:55pm, Sunday 10 Nov. 2002.

8 October 2002: Submitting Quizzes

Many of you are completing and submitting WebCT quizzes successfully. Some of you are not however which results in ungraded quizzes. This is due to you responding to all of the questions and not hitting the submit button. You need to hit the submit button for your quiz to be graded properly. Please see the dialog through. Furthermore, please follow the WebCT tutorial closely. I recommend that you re-read the WebCT tutorial. If you are in the process of submitting, make sure to wait for your grade.

In these cases, I have been manually forcing WebCT to grade your quiz. After my Thursday office hours this week, I will no longer manually force WebCT to grade ungraded quizzes. At the end of the semester, all ungraded quizzes will receive a score of zero. It is your responsibility to successfully submit a quiz.

23 September 2002: MS Visual C++.NET Debugging Quiz Note

Once again, we ask those students enrolled in CS1044 (majors-only sections) AND those using Pete DePasquale's Sandbox programming environment (either with or without subset support) to delay completing the debugging quiz in CS1204 this week until you use .NET in CS1044 (late October).

Those students NOT enrolled in a CS1044 section, or those in CS1044 who are using .NET to complete their programming work (at home and in the lab) MUST complete the debugging CS1204 quiz this week as scheduled.

23 September 2002: Next Four Quizzes are Now Available

The next four quizzes are now available on WebCT.

The deadline for the MS Visual C++.NET Debugging and Web Searching quizzes is 11:55pm, Sunday 29 Sep. 2002.
The deadline for the Security and Synchronous Communication quizzes is 11:55pm, Sunday 6 Oct. 2002.

4 September 2002: Extension of Quiz 1 deadline

As a result of getting everything setup at the start of this semester, we have extended the deadline for Quiz 1: the MS Visual C++.NET/Acrobat quiz to 11:55pm, Sunday 15 Sep. 2002. Please note that this extension does not affect any of the other quiz deadlines.

4 September 2002: Email Communication

I ask you to please adhere to the following guidelines for all email communication with me.

1. Browse the course webpages throughly (especially the schedule and announcements page) for an answer to your question before asking.
  2. Browse the forum messages throughly for an answer to your question before asking.
  3. Include your name, pid, and course number in the subject or body of a message.
Due to the large amount of unnecessary email that I am receiving, you will have to understand that I may ignore mails which do meet these guidelines.

2 September 2002: MS Visual C++.NET/Acrobat Quiz Note

Those students enrolled in CS1044 (majors-only sections) AND those using Pete DePasquale's Sandbox programming environment (either with or without subset support) are being asked to delay completing the .NET assignment in CS1204 this week until you use .NET in CS1044 (late October).

In order to attempt to limit exposure to .NET by these students we are asking you to complete the assignment later this semester (will announce when) without penalty to you.

Those students NOT enrolled in the CS1044 sections, or those in CS1044 who are using .NET to complete their programming work (at home and in the lab) MUST complete the .NET CS1204 quiz this week as scheduled.

This change affects only about 120 students.

2 September 2002: First Three Quizzes are Now Available

The first three graded quizzes are now available on WebCT.

The deadline for the MS Visual C++.NET/Acrobat quiz is 11:55pm, Sunday 8 Sep. 2002.
The deadline for the FTP and Compression quizzes is 11:55pm, Sunday 15 Sep. 2002.

1 September 2002: Support for Java apple menu bar

The reason that some of you who are running Windows XP cannot view the Java menu applet on our course webpages (or are having problems with it) is due to Microsoft not supplying the latest Java support to XP. I direct anyone running Windows XP to http://java.sun.com/getjava/download.html, where you can download and install the necessary Java plugin for XP.

1 September 2002: Mandatory attendance at first-day organizational meeting

If you were not in attendance due to a course conflict, please review an outline of the meeting. To access this information from the menubar follow the Notes -> Organization link sequence. Each student is responsible for this information.

July 10 2002: Fall 2002 Initial Meeting

The only REQUIRED meeting for CS 1204 is on Monday Aug. 26 at 5:00PM in Donaldson Brown Auditorium. Students NOT attending this organizational meeting will be automatically dropped!

Last Updated: please see the timestamp at the top

© CS Dept Va Tech, 1997-2002.
All rights reserved.