Responsibilities of system software:
Types of system software
- Hide details of computer organization (increase the level of abstraction).
- Communicate with users in a "friendly" way.
- Allow users to access computing resources simply and efficiently.
- Provide a secure and safe environment.
- Protect the system from the user.
In the next section we will look more closely at assemblers and at operating systems.
- The operating system: the program (s) in charge (more details below).
- Other types of system software include programs for doing...
- Language translation.
- Memory management.
- File system management.
- Process scheduling.
- Allocation and scheduling of resources.
- Assembly language:
- A symbolic representation of the machine language of a specific computer. Assembly language is converted
to machine code by an assembler.
- A program which converts assembly language into machine code.
- Operating system:
- The low-level software which handles the interface to peripheral hardware, schedules tasks, allocates storage, and
presents a default interface to the user when no application program is running.
CS1104 Main Page
Last Updated 01/05/2000
© L.Heath, 2000