LOGIC PROBLEM CONTINUED
A QUICKER SOLUTION:|
- The number of cards in each suit is different.
- The number of hearts and diamonds is 5, so there can only be the following possible pairs:
- 1 heart + 4 diamonds
- 2 hearts + 3 diamonds
- 3 hearts + 2 diamonds
- 4 hearts + 1 diamond
- So the maximum number of diamonds or hearts is 4
- The number of diamonds and spades is 6, so there can only be the following possible pairs:
- 1 diamond + 5 spades
- 2 diamonds + 4 spades
- (cannot be 3 + 3)
- 4 diamonds + 2 spades
- (cannot have more than 5 diamonds)
- The numbers of diamonds or spades cannot be 3
- The number of clubs is the remainder of the 13 cards.
Let us "diagram" the solution:
Solve a new problem.
Last updated 2000/08/16
© J.A.N. Lee, 2000-2001.