SOLUTION TO A LOGIC PROBLEM BY ENUMERATION
A playing card hand contains:
- Exactly 13 cards
- At least one card from each suit
- A different number of cards in each suit
- A total of 5 cards from "hearts" and "diamonds"
- A total of 6 cards from "diamonds" and "spades"
- Exactly 2 trump cards
What is the trump suit?
WHAT DO WE KNOW?
- There are four suits in a deck of playing cards - hearts, clubs, diamonds, and spades
- The "trump" suit can be any suit in the deck
- The face values of the cards are irrelevant
Write down all the possible combinations of cards and check whether the combination of numbers of cards meets the requirements:
and so on
How many cases do we have to consider?
Or, how many ways are there that four numbers can add up to 13?
Last updated 2000/01/21
© J.A.N. Lee, 2000.