THE TOWER OF HANOÏ
"AUTHENTIC BRAIN TEASER OF THE ANAMITES
A GAME BROUGHT BACK FROM TONKIN"
BY PROFESSOR N. CLAUS (OF SIAM)
Mandarin of the College of Li-Sou-Stian!
(This demonstration shows only the first eight moves, that moves the top
three disks to another disk. Your task is to work out the next few moves to
complete the solution.)
There are three poles, one of which contains several disks of differing sizes, arranged such that each disk is placed on top of a disk of smaller size. That is, it looks like a pyramid.
Move the disks to another pole in such a manner that:
- Only one disk is moved at a time;
- At no time is a disk placed on top of a disk of smaller size.
- Discover the solution for 1 disk
- Get the solution for 2 disks
- Solve the problem for 3 disks
- For "n" disks move the "n-1" pile to another pole.
- Move the n-th disk to the vacant pole.
- Move the "n-1" pile to the top of the n-th disk.
Last updated 2000/01/19
© J.A.N. Lee, 2000.