- GENERAL SCIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Repeated evaluation of the same product to the same evaluation specification by the same testing laboratory gives the same
Repeated evaluation of the same product to the same evaluation specification by different testing laboratories gives the
Evaluation is free from unfair bias towards achieving any particular result.
The evaluation result is obtained with the minimum of subjective judgment.
- SPECIFIC SOFTWARE ABILITIES:
- Functionality: The capabilities or behaviours of a program, part of a program, or system, seen as the
sum of its features. Roughly, "the things it can do". Generally used in a comparitive sense, e.g. "The latest update adds some useful
- Reliability: An attribute of any system that consistently produces the same results, preferably meeting or exceeding its specifications. The
term may be qualified, e.g software reliability, reliable communication.
- Usability: The effectiveness, efficiency, and satisfaction with which users can achieve tasks in a particular environment of a
product. High usability means a system is: easy to learn and remember; efficient, visually pleasing and fun to use; and quick to recover from
- Efficient: Productive of desired effects; especially : productive without waste.
- Maintainability: Capable of being upgraded, corrected, modified, or enhanced without difficulty.
- Portability: The ease with which a piece of software (or file format) can be "ported", i.e. made to run on a new
platform and/or compile with a new compiler.
- Safe: (safety critical systems: A computer, electronic or electromechanical system whose failure may cause injury or death to human beings. E.g. an aircraft or nuclear
power station control system. Common tools used in the design of safety-critical systems are redundancy and formal methods. )
- Secure: Capable of resisting unwanted instrusion.
- Availability: The degree to which a system suffers degradation or interruption in its service to the customer as a consequence of failures of
one or more of its parts.
- Applicability: Capable of or suitable for being applied according to the requirements.
Last updated 2002/03/27
© J.A.N. Lee, 2000-2002.