Instructor:

William D McQuain

631 McBryde Hall

14:00 - 16:00 MW

9:00 - 10:30 TR

wmcquain@cs.vt.edu

How we will proceed:

The tragic circumstances of April 16 have taken a toll on all of us, to differing degrees.  How we deal with this, individually and collectively, will say much about our character.  But how quickly we come to terms with this is in no way a reflection of character or strength or resolve.

It would be unreasonable and unfair for me to insist that you simply steel yourselves and complete the remaining two programming assignments as originally scheduled.  On the other hand, academic integrity still matters, and so it would not be appropriate to simply cancel those assignments.

In accordance with the University's policy, each of you has at least the following three options:

So... Test 2 will be given as a take-home examination.  Actually, I will post the test questions online on Monday April 23 and you will submit your answers via the Curator System by 12:00 (noon) Monday April 30.  The test will be open notes and book, but no software or online resources and no collaboration with other students, with unlimited time.

In addition, the final examination will replace either or both of your test scores if it is higher.

Projects 5 and 6 will technically be due at the end of classes (08:00 May 3).  However, there will be no late penalty if you turn either or both of them in late, but submissions made after 08:00 May 10 will not be counted, in order for me to be able turn in final course grades to the University by the deadline on Friday May 11.

There will be one final homework assignment, due by 12:00 noon May 3.

Some of you will not be able to complete the projects by then.  I will grant an Incomplete to any student who requests one.  That would give you until the end of Fall semester to complete the projects.  I will be teaching during first summer session, and during the fall, and I will be available to help any of you who need assistance with the assignments.  Because students frequently do not get good results from an incomplete, I do not recommend taking this option unless you are desperate and also determined to actually complete the work.

Some of you may not be able to prepare for the final exam.  If so, you must get approval from the Dean of your college to defer the final examination; I expect that such requests will be granted automatically.  If not, then I will defer the exam on my own authority.

Finally, some of you are graduating seniors, and the options I've given above may not work well for you.  Discuss your situation with me and we'll find some resolution.

Alternate Final Exam Information

The alternate CS 1044 final exam will be given between 1:00 and 4:00 pm on May 6 in McBryde 212.  You can show to start the exam anytime between 1:00 and 2:00, and you'll have two hours to complete it.

Unless I hear otherwise, I will assume that everyone who has contacted me regarding a conflict with the regular exam time will be taking the exam at the alternate time.

Course TAs:

Yifei Ma  

10:00 - 13:00 MW

13:30 - 14:30 M

18:00 - 21:00 R

in McBryde 116/118

yifeima AT vt DOT edu 

Jon Myers  

15:30 - 18:00 TR

13:00 - 18:00 F

in McB 133

jonmyers AT vt DOT edu