Re: What a ridiculous final exam!

Posted by YupYup on December 20, 2001 at 01:23:57:

In Reply to: What a ridiculous final exam! posted by Nick Milianes on December 20, 2001 at 01:16:03:

>Secondly, I would think that there would be more value in having >students attempt to work through code that they may actually see in >some real world environment. Function calls involving variable >names (Hmmm .. p, q, and r, for example?) that are passed as >parameters, then used in a function that AGAIN calls them the >same variable names in a different order, which then returns an int >value that is assigned to the SAME variable name is an utterly >absurd way of doing things, and its only purpose is to completely >confuse students and cause them to fill in the wrong answer.

Yea.. I have to agree... I don't think any programmer would declare a global variable and then use it again as the parameter inside a function call for a purpose completely different than the point of the global variable. Again... more trickery to thwart students from showing their understanding of the material.

Hats off to the CS profs for lowering the average... we know how much you guys like to polish your beloved accreditation...