Re: Another point of view...

Posted by rupayne on October 16, 2001 at 15:20:02:

In Reply to: Re: Another point of view... posted by Peter DePasquale on October 11, 2001 at 15:06:21:

: There are four sections to this course, 3 for majors and one for non-majors. At the request of your departments (for those of you that are non-majors), you are taking THE SAME COURSE with the same requirements that our freshmen CS majors take. This is not some perverse torture treatment that the CS department likes to inflict, it's your departments which wish YOU to take this level of a course (my understanding of the situation).

: Certainly, if the other departments wanted it to be "easier", the CS department could restructure this section for the non-majors to be that way. However, that's not what the departments wish.

: Yeah, it's a hard course, that's no secret. I'm sure your professors told you that. And your friends likely mentioned it too. And yes, for the CS majors it gets much worse after this (ask anyone taking the Operating Systems class).

: If you are a non-major, it's likely that you are going to have to work much harder in this course than others that you have encountered.

: ALSO THE OTHER COURSES THAT WERE MENTIONED ABOVE HAVE NOT BEEN OFFERED OR AVAILABLE SINCE THIS PAST SUMMER. THERE WERE 2 OTHER QUITE BASIC COURSES IN CS. I AM IN MANAGEMENT, AND WANTED TO TAKE THE MORE BASIC CLASSES. YES, I AGREE THAT THIS SEEMS TO BE MORE GEARED TOWARD THE CS STUDENT AND NOT BUSN. STUDENTS. WE ARE STRUGGLING WITHT THE COMPLEX MATERIAL. I DESCRIBE IT AS LEARNING GREEK OR LATIN. I SPEND MORE TIME DOING THESE PROJECTS THAN I ALLOW FOR ANY OF MY OTHER CLASSES. AND, IF I MIGHT ADD THAT A PHONE BILL PROJECT IS NOT THE MOST EXCITING SUBJECT TO WORK ON.....