Re: Another point of view...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ CS1044 Web Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by William D McQuain on October 12, 2001 at 12:36:23:

In Reply to: Re: Another point of view... posted by mike on October 11, 2001 at 17:08:24:

: ok cool i understand. We have to be treated the same as the beginning CS majors because its what our college thinks is right.. ok i got ya.. iwasnt sure on that.. probablly to make our degree a little more diverse so it will include a computer science course at the level of CS not of business computer science (or whatever they would call it) .. so i understand why it is fairly difficult.. we are prepared the same after this class as the CS majors are in c++ anyways.. thanks for the reply i wasnt sure what the deal was if certain classes were non major or whatever.. cause i dont think there are many cs majors at all in our class

The CS department deliberately "segregates" the CS majors from the non-majors... occasionally there will be an exception because of some odd scheduling constraint a major has (like mandatory practice times, Corps training, etc).

Mainly, the department does this to make it easier for us to track the performance of the majors as a group.

Pete's characterization of the situation is precisely correct. (I'm on the CS Undergrad Program Committee.) If we offer two sections of CS 1044 then they will be taught the same way, with the same expectations and the same level of difficulty. That's the way it should be for any course that's offered in multiple sections. It's easier for us than for some departments, like math, because we don't have as many different sections and instructors to coordinate.

If there were to be a "light" version of CS 1044 for non-majors, we'd have to offer it under a different course number and it wouldn't count as a prerequisite for the later CS courses.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ CS1044 Web Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]