Re: To the instructors

Posted by William D McQuain on September 28, 2001 at 17:11:48:

In Reply to: To the instructors posted by student on September 28, 2001 at 14:52:30:

I'll make an exception to my policy of not responding to anonymous posts. But just this once.

When you log on to the Curator submit page, you see a table listing your submissions. That table shows your score and includes two links that will display the file you submitted and the e-mail message containing the score information.

On TUESDAY evening we had a problem that stalled grading. The problem was removed the following morning and all the queued but ungraded submissions were processed then. This may happen occasionally.

There were no such problems on WEDNESDAY evening.

Of course, it's possible that your e-mail notification was lost in transmission. If you forward your vt.edu mail to another account, like hotmail, their server may well be unavailable or unreliable. The VT mail server has been known to lose messages as well. Sometimes the VT mail server is so busy that the Curator cannot connect to it and we simply give up on sending the notification. That's why we display the submission table when you log onto the Curator.

As far as I know (and I'm confident of this but can't check since you posted anonymously) your submissions were scored on Thursday morning. Whether or not you received an e-mail message, you could have accessed your scores by logging on to the system.

Bottom line is that you made your submissions very close to the deadline and that did not give you much time to receive any results.

: I submitted the program at 11:00pm Wednesday. I did get the confirmation from the Curator that it received my program. I was still not certain, submitted it the again about 11:50pm, got another message said that the curator received it. I was aware of the something wrong to the curator that it received the program, but didnot grade it immediately. It's weird...the first time I submitted it around 7pm Wednesday. I got the grade back with a 55. The reason was I tested two sample files for the 1st time, it worked fine. Then I got a 55 after submitting it. I fixed it then submitted again and again at 11:00pm and 11:50. Now is 2 days passed the due date. I still have not received a grade of the 2nd or the 3rd submission yet. What if I still have a low grade when it send me back my grades after the 2nd submission, I might still have 30 minutes to fix ? How do I know because until now I have not gotten the 2nd and the 3rd grade yet ?