The Net: User Guidelines and Netiquette
- by Arlene Rinaldi
ANONYMOUS FTP - FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL
- Users should respond to the PASSWORD prompt with their Email
address, so if that site chooses, it can track the level of
FTP usage. If your Email address causes an error, enter
GUEST for the next PASSWORD prompt.
- When possible limit downloads, especially large downloads (1
Meg+), for after normal business hours locally and for the
remote ftp host; preferably late in the evening.
- Adhere to time restrictions as requested by archive sites.
Think in terms of the current time at the site that's being
visited, not of local time.
- Copy downloaded files to your personal computer hard drive
or disks to remain within disk quota.
- When possible, inquiries to Archie should be in mail form.
- It's the user's responsibility when downloading programs, to
check for copyright or licensing agreements. If the program
is beneficial to your use, pay any authors registration fee.
If there is any doubt, don't copy it; there have been many
occasions on which copyrighted software has found its way
into ftp archives. Support for any downloaded programs
should be requested from the originator of the application.
Remove unwanted programs from your systems.
Permission to duplicate or distribute this document is granted with
the provision that the document remains intact or if used in sections,
that the original document source be referenced.
Last updated: 04 April 96